Favorite Forum software

What is your favorite forum software currently? I used to love have a Vbulletin license in the past, but now I am no more with them. I heard about Xenforo, but their plugins and themes cost a lot to have on forums.

Shawn

Clearly the Forum Owner
Staff member
I've been a XenForo fan since vBulletin got bought out by Internet Brands. vBulletin changed to something that I just didn't get on board with while XenForo gave me a more modern forum software. :)

jyy

Growing
I can't really say I have a "favorite" - but I've simply grown on XenForo. I mean, I've already invested so much in XenForo - that it's not a good idea to go to something else - even if XF is getting more expensive.

However, though, I kind of regret not putting more time in MyBB. I mean, if I were partnered with a good MyBB developer (I found one recently.) - I could save tons of money maybe - but maybe not. Well, besides what I was saying - it's just fun to develop free forum software.

Shawn

Clearly the Forum Owner
Staff member
I used to really enjoy MyBB but certain members of their community and certain staff members pretty much "scared" me away. Just their attitudes and lack of professional senses turned me off from the software as a whole. The same for Simple Machines. PhpBB was always a great community but it just seems like development had really came to a halt.

XF is a wonderful software with a great community of friendly folk. :)

jyy

Growing
ust their attitudes and lack of professional senses turned me off from the software as a whole.
Well, you can't depend on them. Remember, it's all free anyway. Well, the best thing is to find a good developer - like I did. In the end, the developer's cost would be far less than the buying and upgrade for paid.

Last edited:

zoldos

Growing
Definitely Xenforo. I've run many free ones and several paid, and XF is my favorite, hands down. :D

zoldos

Growing
I used to really enjoy MyBB but certain members of their community and certain staff members pretty much "scared" me away. Just their attitudes and lack of professional senses turned me off from the software as a whole. The same for Simple Machines. PhpBB was always a great community but it just seems like development had really came to a halt.

XF is a wonderful software with a great community of friendly folk. :)
Yes agreed!! I've run XF since at least 2015.

jyy

Growing
I can't really comment on XenForo too much - cause I haven't used the other paid ones enough - as a forum admin. I mean, I only briefly got into the admin area of IPB once - lol.

zoldos

Growing
I used IPB in 2006 and it was decent. This was before Xenforo even came out. I then went to VB, then Xen. :)

Reactions: jyy

jyy

Growing
All the paid seem the same - as with the free. I mean, there are quarks - but a good webmaster can overcome.

zoldos

Growing
All the paid seem the same - as with the free. I mean, there are quarks - but a good webmaster can overcome.
Perhaps, but each has unique features. The new Xenforo 2.1 is fantastic. I'd pick that over other paid forums any day.

Reactions: jyy